I think it’s easier to look at design when you can’t understand the content and this work by Patricio Murphy is the perfect example. I’m not distracted by the text; all I can see is the modern, dynamic layout and imagery. I don’t understand Argentinian, so luckily  it says a bit about the project on Patricio’s Behance – below is a programme for Glow festival…

The layout has so many interesting components, with the tables of information, diagrams and the general layout too – I am starting to become quite appreciative of info graphics. I also really love the colours used in this project; bright but understated at the same time.

I also really like Patricio’s identity for the singer/rap artist M.I.A. These images have a range of media used in them, or so it looks anyway. I like how layers have been used and everything isn’t perfect – text is overlapping images etc. It gives a helping hand to the grimy feel.

It’s quirky, rebellious and individual – spot on for her character! The mix of black and white imagery with colourful patterns is definitely something I would love to try and pull off one day… I think it works really well.

18 comments

• Mikalee Byerman

24/02/2011 at 4:30 pm

Very cool, hip design. And interesting use of color!

It’s a little busy for my taste, but I’m guessing I may be slightly outside of the target demographic. 😉

• YouNxt

24/02/2011 at 4:58 pm

Love to see innovative and fresh graphic design coming from interesting places from across the globe. It’s easy to fall into a trap and just do the same old boring thing – hollywood film posters are a perfect example. Last summer we organized an exhibition of polish film posters for Hollywood films – the posters were amazing and the graphic design totally unbelievable. http://younxt.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/and-now-one-of-the-most-influential-architects-of-our-time/

• Rike

24/02/2011 at 5:08 pm

OMG – I love those designs! Great work 🙂

• TweeCo

24/02/2011 at 7:37 pm

The color and element usage is very special.
    Thanks for sharing, I seldom see Argentinean’s design

• leadinglight

25/02/2011 at 1:24 am

I love how it’s still readable although full of colour and design. As you say, it is dynamic and enhances rather than distracts.

• Fire Crystals

25/02/2011 at 5:38 am

Something I don’t understand is – Is there any purpose to those text overlaid on the picture? Bcause, in fig 3 (the one with a a person in a cap), the overlaid text is in Hindi – Shudh Shakahari – which means ‘Pure Vegetarian’. In the same series, the one with a tiger, has the words – Shree Radha Krishna – which is the name of an Indian God and Goddess. Or is that the name of the artist here?
    I may be old-fashioned, but those words really didn’t make much sense to me in the overall picture.

• justanothergirl1234

25/02/2011 at 5:05 am

i really like the M.I.A work, nice post 🙂

• harkheindzel

25/02/2011 at 11:43 am

Love the lower pix of the girl and the colouring…beautiful

• Maria

25/02/2011 at 3:12 pm

Dig M.I.A. and have seen her live, you’re right about this working being spot-on for her personality. The color choices are bold and there’s so much energy represented which isn’t the easiest thing to do in print. Much fun reading this post. Thnx.

• Ali

25/02/2011 at 10:49 pm

Cool Post

Thanks 🙂

• missessg

19/03/2011 at 4:37 pm

I know that has a way of recycling itself, but it’s hard to produce a new piece of work without replicating another and making it original. I like these pieces that you posted. I love the colour palettes.

• เฟอร์นิเจอร์สำนักงาน, เครื่องเขียน

07/04/2011 at 8:50 am

Very cool, hip design. And interesting use of color!