J’adore… Patricio Murphy

I think it’s easier to look at design when you can’t understand the content and this work by Patricio Murphy is the perfect example. I’m not distracted by the text; all I can see is the modern, dynamic layout and imagery. I don’t understand Argentinian, so luckily  it says a bit about the project on Patricio’s Behance – below is a programme for Glow festival…

The layout has so many interesting components, with the tables of information, diagrams and the general layout too – I am starting to become quite appreciative of info graphics. I also really love the colours used in this project; bright but understated at the same time.

I also really like Patricio’s identity for the singer/rap artist M.I.A. These images have a range of media used in them, or so it looks anyway. I like how layers have been used and everything isn’t perfect – text is overlapping images etc. It gives a helping hand to the grimy feel.

It’s quirky, rebellious and individual – spot on for her character! The mix of black and white imagery with colourful patterns is definitely something I would love to try and pull off one day… I think it works really well.

18 Comments

1. mikalee.byerman@gmail.com' 24/02/2011 / 4:30 pm

Very cool, hip design. And interesting use of color!

It’s a little busy for my taste, but I’m guessing I may be slightly outside of the target demographic. 😉

2. younxt@gmail.com' 24/02/2011 / 4:58 pm

Love to see innovative and fresh graphic design coming from interesting places from across the globe. It’s easy to fall into a trap and just do the same old boring thing – hollywood film posters are a perfect example. Last summer we organized an exhibition of polish film posters for Hollywood films – the posters were amazing and the graphic design totally unbelievable. http://younxt.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/and-now-one-of-the-most-influential-architects-of-our-time/

3. friederike.kreft@gmail.com' 24/02/2011 / 5:08 pm

OMG – I love those designs! Great work 🙂

4. tweeco@hotmail.com' 24/02/2011 / 7:37 pm

The color and element usage is very special.
    Thanks for sharing, I seldom see Argentinean’s design

5. emoduchess@yahoo.com.au' 25/02/2011 / 1:24 am

I love how it’s still readable although full of colour and design. As you say, it is dynamic and enhances rather than distracts.

6. firecrystals@gmail.com' 25/02/2011 / 5:38 am

Something I don’t understand is – Is there any purpose to those text overlaid on the picture? Bcause, in fig 3 (the one with a a person in a cap), the overlaid text is in Hindi – Shudh Shakahari – which means ‘Pure Vegetarian’. In the same series, the one with a tiger, has the words – Shree Radha Krishna – which is the name of an Indian God and Goddess. Or is that the name of the artist here?
    I may be old-fashioned, but those words really didn’t make much sense to me in the overall picture.

7. josie_m@windowslive.com'
    justanothergirl1234
    25/02/2011 / 5:05 am

i really like the M.I.A work, nice post 🙂

8. Sirkay008@saintly.com' 25/02/2011 / 11:43 am

Love the lower pix of the girl and the colouring…beautiful

9. showeringnaked@gmail.com' 25/02/2011 / 3:12 pm

Dig M.I.A. and have seen her live, you’re right about this working being spot-on for her personality. The color choices are bold and there’s so much energy represented which isn’t the easiest thing to do in print. Much fun reading this post. Thnx.

10. real_pearl01@yahoo.com'
    Ali
    25/02/2011 / 10:49 pm

Cool Post

Thanks 🙂

11. rrodas_23@hotmail.com' 19/03/2011 / 4:37 pm

I know that has a way of recycling itself, but it’s hard to produce a new piece of work without replicating another and making it original. I like these pieces that you posted. I love the colour palettes.

12. naya_rin@hotmail.com'
    เฟอร์นิเจอร์สำนักงาน, เครื่องเขียน
    07/04/2011 / 8:50 am

Very cool, hip design. And interesting use of color!