All the Ms

Almost a month ago now, it was a misty morning and I was on my way to Manchester – look at all those Ms!

This was only my 3rd time in Manchester, but I’d already developed a little soft spot for the city – great shopping, lovely little cafes, a vibrant atmosphere and creativity too:

Of course I couldn’t waste an opportunity to visit Magma and flick through some magazines, although I never did go back for Hunger magazine – it is so heavy! Wandering around the ‘arts’ quarter, I discovered Fred Aldous, an Aladdin’s cave for creatives.

I’m pretty gutted that I missed out on this place as a student – Lincoln has Ruddocks but it doesn’t quite compare ha

But the adventuring aside, the real reason I headed up north was for an interview! I won’t say where it was (I’m not sure if I’m allowed to/it’s the done thing), but it was a brilliant opportunity which I was really flattered to have been contacted about:

It was my first interview for a junior position so I was pretty terrified but I really enjoyed meeting the people and got some great feedback on my work.

Afterwards, I headed to Sinclairs Oyster Bar, one of the oldest pubs in Manchester:

I met my friend Sanna for a cider and a catch up, discussing our lives as part of ‘Generation Y’. What is a ‘Generation Y’ you say? Well, I’ll explain more later as I’ve decided to write a post about it – it’s pretty relevant to my life as a graduate right now. Check back soon…

8 Comments

1. adambirchall@outlook.com' 13/10/2013 / 10:41 pm

If you want a copy of Issue 1 of Hunger it’s yours if you want it. I don’t want it anymore. I can’t tell you where to go the next time you’re up this way but The Lowry and The Cube usually have some good stuff on.

• Tisha_Tasha@hotmail.com' 14/10/2013 / 10:39 am

Hi Adam – that’s kind of you but I have Issue 1 πŸ™‚ Another reason I didn’t go back for Issue 3 was the price rise I think.. from Β£4.99 to Β£6.99? It’s not a lot but it feels like it for a magazine ha Thanks for the recommendations too πŸ™‚

• adambirchall@outlook.com' 14/10/2013 / 3:32 pm

I didn’t know they increased the price, granted I haven’t looked at it since I got the first one, no longer my scene. Aye no worries, I can ask some friends who live there if they can point out some other places if you want. “Every little helps.”

• Tisha_Tasha@hotmail.com' 14/10/2013 / 4:10 pm

Yeah I was pretty surprised! No longer your scene – how come? To be fair when I flicked through it, it wasn’t as good as the 1st issue. I really loved the experimental type and splashes of neon pink but the 3rd issue didn’t seem to have the same sparkle for me…

• adambirchall@outlook.com' 14/10/2013 / 4:31 pm

I’m not into the fashion stuff anymore, I go walking with my 5×4 and I’m happy. I guess from a graphic designers perspective it’s different. I never pay attention to font, Arial at 12 point is where it’s at :).

• Tisha_Tasha@hotmail.com' 14/10/2013 / 4:37 pm

Ah I see – I like to see a bit of both; polished and raw photography. Arial at 12 point!? Oh god. That sounds like a nightmare to me ha

2. n.rodgers1606@live.com' 14/10/2013 / 9:47 am

Ah this is a very nostalgic post for me to read, I went to uni in Manchester. I love Fred Aldous, my sister teaches an embroidery class there now πŸ™‚ Best of luck with the position. I have my fingers crossed for you.

• Tisha_Tasha@hotmail.com' 14/10/2013 / 10:41 am

Ahhh yay someone else that knows about Fred Aldous – I’m so confused as to why it’s been kept a secret all these years ha Thanks Nikki πŸ™‚