CultureGraphic DesignInspirationLifestyleMePantone of 2016: Rose Quartz AND Serenity

At the start of December Pantone announced the new ‘colour of the year’… which actually turned out to be two colours. Personally I think choosing two colours is kinda defeating the object of the game/ breaking the rules!? …but nevermind because they do look nice together. I might be going off on a tangent here, but part of me wonders if it’s a gender related symbol of equality? Pink for girls and blue for boys… gently blending into each other. Your thoughts on a postcard… (or in the comments)

Pantone 2016

It’s a big change compared to 2015’s Pantone of the year: Marsala, but seems more user friendly to me. I can see it being a big trend in stationery, fashion, make up and design too. In terms of design, I think it’s a pretty good colour combination, and it is pretty. Pastels remind me of luxury packaging, the Grand Budapest Hotel (HELLO MENDL’S) and summertime. I’m also reminded of candy floss, so maybe that will be a big influence in design this year? Who knows…

As always Pinterest is filled with beautiful, colourful inspiration so I didn’t have any problems finding some cool examples of Rose Quartz & Serenity. I’ve even created a Pinterest Board in celebration, so we can all enjoy the pink & blue combination together – have a nosey:

Follow Natasha Nuttall’s board Pantone Colour of 2016 on Pinterest.

Pantone 2016 Pantone 2016Pantone 2016Pantone 2016 Pantone 2016Pantone 2016Pantone 2016 Pantone 2016Pantone 2016  Pantone 2016 Pantone 2016 Pantone 2016

What do you think to the Pantone colours of 2016? Do you see yourself designing with/decorating/buying things themed on them?

sig1

8 comments

• Leanne

11/01/2016 at 2:08 pm

I agree that’s cheating picking two but I do love the way that they both blend in to one another. I’d love some of that ombre cardstock xx

• Natasha Nuttall

24/03/2016 at 7:35 pm

I know, right? NAUGHTY Pantone… but we’ll let them off ha Ohhh yes, Ombre is so pleasing xx

• Polly

11/01/2016 at 4:08 pm

I love the Serenity shade and I would definitely buy/create things in that colour, but I’m really not a fan of pink! So not keen on the Rose Quartz. The colour is pretty true to actual Rose Quartz crystals though, so that’s good.

• Natasha Nuttall

24/03/2016 at 7:34 pm

I know what you mean Polly, I’m not really a pink fan either but I prefer pastel to fuschia pink. I love brights, but I’m all about the subtle colours for Spring 🙂

• Claire

13/01/2016 at 10:56 am

I do think it’s a bit of a cheat, but a lovely cheat nonetheless. I love ‘Serenity’, looking forward to buying some clothes and accessories in that shade. And yay, now following you on pinterest.

• Natasha Nuttall

24/03/2016 at 7:33 pm

HE HE yes I’m with you… cheating but we’ll let them off? ha It’s very Spring-like and I’m definitely seeing so much of these shades around the shops at the moment. Good predictions Pantone, good work!

• Claire

18/01/2016 at 12:06 am

I never knew Pantone had a colour of the year! But this collection of pretty pictures in the colours is just fab! Adore your Pinterest board also!

• Natasha Nuttall

24/03/2016 at 7:32 pm

Yeah I don’t think they really promote it enough, but indeed they do it every year! Glad you enjoyed the Pinterest board Claire 🙂