Celebrating Female Creatives – #IWD16

FemaleCreatives

Despite the gender split being quite even on creative courses at University level, the design industry is heavily dominated by males. If I asked you to draw me a sketch of a Graphic Designer, what would you draw? I’m 99.9% sure it would be a middle aged male with glasses. Am I right?

I have a lot to say on the gender disparities within the design industry (I wrote my dissertation about Women in Design, y’know?), but that’s a story for another day. Today is International Women’s Day, so I thought it’s the perfect excuse to share some of my favourite female creatives; art directors, illustrators, typographers and anything else they wish to turn their hands to.

These women are awesome and inspire me everyday:

Annie Atkins

Annie Atkins – Graphics for Film… it’s all in the detail

Camille_Walala_Wall_hero

Camille Walala – Patterns and Architectural art

Screen shot 2016-03-07 at 22.47.24

Kate Moross – Typography, Branding, Illustration… the lot.

Lotta Nieminen

Lotta Nieminen – Beautifully minimal branding and editorial

Lucy Sparrow

Lucy Sparrow – Turning everyday objects into felt

Malika Favre

Malika Favre – Illustration that proves, less is more

MoragMyerscough

Morag Myerscough – Graphical experiences and queen of colour

Sarah Thorne

Sarah Thorne – Simple, elegant branding and patterns

Shaz Madani

Shaz Madani – Beautiful typography

If you didn’t already know about these ladies, I hope that inspired you? Check out the #IWD16 conversation on twitter and also don’t forget to tell me about your female inspirations (creative or not) below 🙂

Studio Aishima and Graphics UK Women are currently celebrating female CSM alumni through A+ an exhibition at Central Saint Martins University, London until 23rd March 2016. Tweet them and #CelebrateWomen to let them know which creative women inspire you!

sig1

7 Comments

1. immymay.enquiries@gmail.com' 13/03/2016 / 10:40 am

I absolutely LOVE this! Also, those felt chocolate bars, bladdy amazing. It’s all about celebrating and bigging up gyals doing incredible creative stuff. Immy x

• 24/03/2016 / 6:49 pm

Awww glad you love it Immy – all of these ladies are so talented, I just HAD to celebrate and share the love 🙂

2. hann2lew@aol.com' 20/03/2016 / 8:37 pm

I really love the mix in work here. I didn’t know about Annie Atkins and I love that design. I will have to check her out! Thanks for posting!

Hannah
    helloisabelle.com

• 24/03/2016 / 6:35 pm

Glad to hear Hannah – I really wanted to show the amazing variety of ladies doing great things because sometimes they are overlooked! Hope you enjoyed checking them out more too 🙂

3. emma.allsup@googlemail.com' 29/03/2016 / 10:55 am

Great post Natasha! I’m always looking for new inspiration and especially artists’ work. Loving Kate Moross’s typography and Lucy Sparrow’s cute, textile chocolate wrappers. I’ll definitely be checking them out.

Thanks for sharing!

Emma Jayne x

• 29/03/2016 / 8:10 pm

Thanks Emma, glad you liked the post and discovered Kate Moross & Lucy Sparrow – two very talented ladies! 🙂 x

4. jennifer.lazgs@amsterdampages.com'
    Jennifer Lawrence
    20/04/2016 / 10:14 am

I really like the mix in work here. I didn’t know about Annie Atkins and I love that design. It’s all about celebrating and bigging up gals doing incredible creative stuff. Thanks for posting!

Regards,