As I get older, I find myself becoming more and more nostalgic; NOW I understand why the elders love pulling out a ‘back in my day…’ story. Recently I’ve been reminiscing about my University days – the silly things I used to make for projects and pulling all-nighters to meet deadlines. OH THE MEMORIES!
At the time it felt like it would be the end of the world if I didn’t have 100+ sheets of design development, amazingly photoshopped mock ups and a word-perfect pitch ready for a critique. I wanted to get the best grade possible, of course, but now I know that it probably wouldn’t have mattered if I only had 80 sheets of design development and winged my rationale in the crit…
Thinking back made me want to celebrate those silly things that you’ll only know if you’ve studied a creative course at college or University. I’ve put together a list so we can all look back and laugh/cry about them together:
Things you’ll only understand if you’ve been a creative student:
– No body understands your degree, no matter how hard you try to explain it… so get used to it
– Hearing ‘So what do you want to do after Uni?’ when asked which degree you’re studying
– Constantly being told your course is basically ‘colouring in’
– How hard getting a degree in ‘colouring in’ actually is
– Waving goodbye to your housemates as they go out on a Tuesday night, whilst you stay in to work on your development sketches
– The process of a project: first you hate it, then you love it, then 2 hours before your hand in you’re back to hating it
– Persuading your housemates to help you with your projects (hand model, face model, body cast model)
– Persuading your friends to do weird things; ride a bike in your bedroom and throw paint at your/their face so you can photograph it
– Making sacrifices for your art; not being able to eat with cutlery for a week because you used it all to make a musical instrument and it’s being assessed by your tutors
– Spending 2 days working on something for it to be ripped to shreds in 2 minutes (the critique!)
– The real meaning of ‘hmmm… interesting’
– The pain of a real all nighter; you can get by on 7 hours of sleep a week y’know? That’s 1 hour a night!
– The stench of deadline day – ain’t nobody got time to wash!
– When your tutor says they LOVE your idea but give you a 2:2 instead of a 1st (which you OBVS deserved instead)
– When you’ve worked really hard for 3 years and you’re then expected (by some old-fashioned studios that need to get with the times) to go and work for free* until you’ve got enough experience to be offered a job (*NEVER WORK FOR FREE!)
– Realising that experience is much more valuable than having a 1st when it comes to your CV and getting a job… but realising this after you’ve graduated
Give me a high-five (or a comment will do) if you know this pain too! And if you’re still a student… you CAN do it! The fact of it is that going through all of the stress and pain is totally worth it when you get to do a job you love for the rest of your life. Work doesn’t feel like work when you’re doing what you enjoy and getting paid for it. Plus you get to look back on some great memories and laugh about them, instead of crying…